Sunday, October 11, 2020

Avion Tie-Down Points & Pigtail


 





























Once again the blog is lagging far behind our progress on the Avion truck camper. I'll try to get a few updates posted, the mild winter and pandemic have been good for getting stuff done. 

I finally got around finishing the installation of the Tie Down points where the camper gets attached to the truck. I ended up using stainless steel U-bolts that are used on the bows of boats, they went in pretty easily except for one where I didn’t leave myself much access to back side by the water heater, it was a pain but eventually I was able to get the backing plate and nuts on.  It feels good to have this and the jack brackets both finally complete. 

I also installed a new pigtail wire connection to the truck along with inline fuses. I bought a long pigtail because on many trucks the 7-pin socket in the bed is on the drivers side, but on the Avion the pigtail is on the passenger side front corner. Once we get a truck we will install socket in the same corner as the camper but I wanted flexibility to be able to use a different truck if ever needed. I also added a bunch of inline fuses for pigtail leads that power the running lights, brake lights, turn signals, and reverse lights. Early on with our Shasta we had an electrical short in one of the running light wires that resulted in the tow vehicle needing a new control module only a year after it was installed, putting inline fuses on these lines is simple protection for the electronics in the truck. I put the connections for the pigtail and the fuses and in a new electrical box inside the wall that I can now access by removing a switch plate in case I ever need to get at them to troubleshoot. 



No comments: