Wednesday, July 30, 2008

List of 10 things

I've finally got the number of things to do in order to go camping down to a list of around ten things. the problem is that every time I can cross something off the list, I find at least one more thing to add back to it. Some of the tasks are really simple and quick, others like putting the rear window back together and getting it installed seem to take hours and hours. At this point all the windows are in and it's tight to the weather except for the elusive door gasket. I finally broke down and ordered one from Vintage Trailer Supply, hopefully it will work.

We had campground reservations a couple of weekends ago that we ended up canceling, not quite ready yet. If all goes well we will go for one night close to home as a test run this weekend. The following weekend we are driving 5 or 6 hours to the Adirondacks for a week with the Shasta.

Sunday, July 20, 2008


The new foam cushions are done and look great. The overall color of the exterior paint and interior fabrics are starting to really come together now. Almost too nice to use for camping!

Saturday, July 19, 2008


Three more windows to give a final polish to and install, then it's buttoned up to the weather! Still a lot to do after that to call it done, but we'll be able to get it out camping soon without all the amenities.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Fresh Paint!

Back from the paint shop with fresh paint and in new colors. It came out great and the shop held to the budget and kept on schedule. The shop used a single stage urethane that doesn't have a clear coat like most of the automotive paint used these days. Now to get the windows back in.

Friday, July 11, 2008

I stopped by the paint shop to see how it was coming along today. Saw it with the top half masked off and just about ready for color to go on on the bottom half. The shop also cleaned-up a ton of small dents and creases around the bottom edge which will help it look a lot better. If it all goes well we should get it back around the middle of next week.

We've been busy getting the rest of the windows cleaned up and reassembled with new screens. Also got the foam into the cushions and all look great, just dealing with two pesky zippers that are giving us trouble.

Monday, July 7, 2008

Heading for Paint!

A huge day for our Shasta. It passed the NY Safety Inspection and then I towed her about 6 miles to the paint shop!

Sunday, July 6, 2008

Lights all work!

Got all the lights working correctly. Actually wen't pretty easy once I figured out the only the frame and not the aluminum skin was grounded. I added a jumper to the aluminum skin and then only had to swap a few of the trailer side wires around to get everything to light when it was supposed to with the new 7 pin connector.

New Axle & Fender Wells are in!

The new axle, leaf springs, and fender wells are thanks to a ton of help from my friend Dave. Ended up trimming the floor back a quarter of an inch to make room for the fenders, the new ones are the same width as the originals but at the factory they were installed before any interior.

Thursday, July 3, 2008

New fender wells, I had them fabricated at a small "motorsports" shop that builds some interesting stuff like motorized bar stools.


Picked up the foam for all the new cushions today., completely filled the car. It's starting to feel like we are getting closer to being able to go camping sometime this summer. Over the previous week optimism was starting to run a little short.

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Behind on the Blog

I'm spending a lot more time on the camper than on the blog lately. I have been uploading photo's to my Flickr set so follow the link on the left to see what's going on!